THE SUBARU/LEAVE NO TRACE TRAVELING TRAINER PROGRAM

Currently in its 12th year, the Subaru/Leave No Trace Traveling Trainers, 2 teams of professional outdoor educators, have reached over 10 million people in 48 states with Leave No Trace education and training.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

DO YOU KNOW MORE (LEAVE NO TRACE) THAN A SECOND GRADER?


Yesterday I had the privilege of working with an great group of students and teachers at Blanchard Elementary School in Cape Girardeau, Missouri. The entire second grade met me outside on their beautiful playground to talk about Leave No Trace. After introducing the 7 Principles (not principals) of Leave No Trace, we played a game that focused on the most common impact we see…LITTER. We found that litter causes lots of problems. It can make wildlife sick, it pollutes our water sources, and it’s ugly - just to name a few. All of the students could relate to litter and decided that the best place for trash is in the trashcan or recycling-bin.

This event was made even more special because I was able to work with my dear friend Caroline Harper. I want to give a big thanks to Ms. Harper’s class!!! They were incredible! I look forward to hearing about your trip to see Earth. Keep up the good work and I'm sure you'll leave Blanchard Elementary School better than you found it in more ways than one!

No comments: