Respect Wildlife is the 6th of 7 Leave No Trace Principles. Humans can unknowingly cause distress to animals by exhibiting the following behaviors: cutting trail switch backs, getting too close, leaving behind food and trash, and being too loud (except in bear/mountain lion country). When entering the natural world, we are in essence entering the home of wild animals. Some ideas on ways we can respect wildlife are:
- Observe wildlife from a distance. Do not follow or approach them.
- Never feed animals. Feeding wildlife damages their health, alters natural behaviors, and exposes them to predators and other dangers.
- Protect wildlife and your food by storing rations and trash securely.
- Control pets at all times, or leave them at home.
- Avoid wildlife during sensitive times: mating, nesting, raising young, or winter.
To learn more about Respect Wildlife, CLICK HERE.
Explore Responsibly…Kate and Tracy